Friday, 9 April 2010
"Bank Square Regeneration" from NvTv
Northern Visions have produced this video documenting the regeneration efforts at Bank Square. The video highlights the multiple interests in the area. Raymond Holbeach of RPS outlines the RPS scheme while several others give their responses, some of which are below:
Raymond Holbeach, RPS
- Extending Streets Ahead project from nearby Royal Avenue.
- RPS scheme is a kickstart to the regeneration of the area.
- Looked at the other squares in Belfast - good and bad things
Declan Hill, Forum for Alternative Belfast
- Talked about FAB's plans for the square.
- Reducing size of Castlecourt service yard; adding small units along its exterior.
Joby Fox, King Street Arts
- Reopening Berry Street is key.
- Disenfranchised physically from Royal Avenue.
Rita Harkin, UAHS
- "When you've got a focus on this area through a masterplan, we shouldn't just be looking at the surface treatment. [Issues like reopening Berry Street] will unlock the street and enliven it."
Bob McCoubrey, Mourne Seafood Bar
- "We want people to come in and say, this feels like Belfast; this doesn't feel like Brussels or London or Milton Keynes. It feels like something unique to Belfast. And what they gave us is something very bland."
The submission to the West Side Regeneration District Draft Regeneration Plan, hosted by PLACE in September 2008 is available for download from the PLACE site: click here.